Friday 6 April 2007

The Story of The Trinity

A long time ago, in a village far far away... in India, a bunch of meany bandits attacked the villagers and generally made a nuisance of themselves. In the village square a woman was trying to escape the mayhem but the bandits surrounded her and one of them grabbed her sari and started pulling it off.

(for those who don't know: the sari is a long straight cloth wrapped around and around the body)

So the woman was turning and turning as the sari unravelled, a pile of sari material was building up and the bandit kept pulling more and more, the woman kept turning and the cloth kept piling up. The villagers looked on amazed, eventually the bandits got tired and bored and went away back to their secret lair in the mountains.

How was the woman's modesty preserved? Ahaaa, because that was the village of Ganesh, the boy with the elephants head who later went on to become "the man with the elephants head". I think his parents were hoping he'd grow out of it, like teenage acne. Anyway, it was his devine power that protected the woman.

This is the kind of bedtime story my mum used to tell us when we were kids, there were many more like this. But the reason I'm telling you is that Ganesh was the son of Durga and Shiva, Shiva being part of The Hindu Trinity : Brahma (the creator), Vishnu (the preserver) and Shiva (the destroyer).

There's another group with a Trinity and they're having a big party this weekend. Thanks to them, I've got monday off. My family aren't Hindu but close enough.

So, there's my Easter contibution, Happy Easter!

JJ

(no, mum didn't know why Ganesh didn't fight the bandits in the first place, just go to sleep you've got school in the morning)

6 comments:

MKWM said...

A Hindu Trinity, how interesting. So what are your family then? Mine?
I am Greek and therefore orthodox, it goes together automatically, we don't get much choice, you see.

Am just back from church, btw. Two churches actually. I followed the Russians at some point!


Happy Easter, JJ.

Anonymous said...

There's another group with a Trinity and they're having a big party this weekend. Thanks to them, I've got monday off.

Would that be Wakefield Trinity? ;-)

Hope you're having a great holiday, Jake.

Soup Waiter said...

My family are Sikh, we don't have to follow the Russians at any point, as far as I know.

Nice one ggdik!

MKWM said...

Oh, lions and princesses! And I bet you don't follow the Russians...

This is rather long to explain, but here it goes in a couple of words: Orthodox Russian & Greek churches in the same neighbourhood in Brussels / Good Friday / Christ’s Burial is reenacted in church and in the evening the Epitaph procession takes place / both Russian & Greek processions meet at a crossroad / I follow the Russians to their church for the rest of the ceremony instead of going back to "mine".

But that was it, I may not go again until next year. As far as I know, there's nothing wrong with being open-minded, or is there?

Soup Waiter said...

Oh I see, so if you're only going once a year you do kind of Church Crawl and take in a couple.

It'll boost the attendance ratings too, well done you!

MKWM said...

A Church Crawl, now that made me laugh! I heard the expression "pub crawl" for the first time a couple of months ago, while visiting my sister in the UK. On Christmas day, all pubs were closed, so I had an All Saint's crawl instead. Boosting the attendance rate again, ha ha!